Since then the award-winning television personality, restauranteur and author has introduced his hand-crafted burgers and barbeque delights to many cruisers.
Guy Fieri’s restaurants on-board Carnival Cruise Line’s ships now include Guy’s Pig & Anchor Smokehouse, Guy’s Pig & Anchor Bar-B-Que and the one that started it all off – Guy’s Burger Joint.
One of the favoured dishes is the Ringer Burger. A delicious combination of beef burger, sweet onion, cheddar cheese and a large crispy onion ring, smothered in barbeque sauce and speciality Fieri-concocted garlic ‘Donkey Sauce’.
We’ve put a British spin on this fantastic burger, so you can recreate it at home!
Makes: 1 burger | Total time: 15 minutes | Difficulty: 2/5
- 140g ground beef
- Quarter of a white onion (thinly sliced)
- Handful of shredded lettuce
- 1 slice of cheddar cheese
- 1 slice of beef tomato
- Three small slices of gherkin
- 2 tbsp Donkey Sauce (see recipe below)
- 1 large crispy onion ring
- 1 tbsp of your favourite bourbon BBQ sauce
- Sea salt (for seasoning)
- 1 soft hamburger bun (split in half)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter (melted)
- ¼ tsp garlic paste
For the ‘Donkey Sauce’ (makes 60ml)
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- ½ clove of roasted garlic
- ½ tsp English mustard
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
Making the burger
- Heat a flat-top grill or cast-iron pan to a very high heat. Form the ground beef into a tight ball and season with salt.
- Place hamburger ball onto the grill and sear for 45 seconds, then flatten with a heavy spatula to about 1/3-inch thickness.
- Cook for 90 seconds to develop a crust on the first side of the bottom, then flip over for one minute to develop another crust. Then, add cheese slice on top.
- Combine the garlic and melted butter. Brush the inside of the bun halves with the mixture and toast on the grill to 3-4 seconds until golden and crisp. Flip buns over and lightly toast for 3-4 seconds.
Making the ‘Donkey Sauce’
- Combine all of the ingredients together in a bowl and mix well.
Putting it all together
- Smear the ‘Donkey Sauce’ on the sliced sides of both bun halves.
- Layer the base with pickle slices and the burger.
- Top with crispy onion ring, BBQ sauce, sliced onions, tomato and lettuce.
- Place the bun on top and dig in!