Marco Pierre White is renowned in the food industry, taking the restaurant scene by storm when he became the youngest ever chef to be awarded three Michelin stars in the 1990s. So, it comes as no surprise that P&O Cruises made him a patron of The Cookery Club!
Perfect for all lovers of cooking, from whizzes in the kitchen to complete beginners, The Cookery Club serves up a menu of hands-on workshops in a state-of-the-art kitchen, guided by a talented team of professional chefs. As patron of The Cookery Club, Marco hosts masterclasses and dinners when on-board Britannia and soon-to-launch Iona, offering his priceless expertise to guests. Here’s one of recipes from his ‘Unmistakeably Marco Class’ – Classic fish pie.
Classic Fish Pie With Leek And Cheddar
Ingredients (Serves 4)
500ml fish stock
500ml double cream
240g cod fillet, diced
240g salmon, diced
50g smoked haddock, diced
100g peeled Atlantic prawns
4 eggs, boiled for 7.5 minutes and peeled
250g leeks, white part
50g butter 1kg baking potatoes, baked and peeled
4 egg yolks
250g soft butter
100g mild Cheddar cheese
Seasoning to taste
- To make the sauce melt 30g of butter and add the flour. Cook out for 10 mins to a light fawn colour. Gradually add the fish stock whisking all the time to stop lumps forming. Simmer for 20 minutes and finish with 50ml of cream.
- Add diced fish to sauce and poach for 1 minute, portion and pour into 4 pie dishes.
- Prepare the leeks by cutting in half down the middle and slicing the white part.
- Sweat 250g of leeks in 50g of butter until cooked with no colour. Drain and sprinkle over the fish.
- Quarter the boiled eggs and add one egg to each dish with 25g prawns.
- Grate the cheese and sprinkle over the fish mixture and leeks.
- For the potato topping take the baked potatoes, no skin and pass twice through a potato ricer or mash, add 4 egg yolks and the 250g of soft butter and season with salt and pepper. Beat well to mix all the ingredients together.
- Pipe the potato mixture over each pie and glaze under the grill until golden brown.
Photo Credit: TummyRumble