Cruise holidays are getting more and more popular every year. Cruises combine all-inclusive options, great value for money and top-notch packages on trips ashore.
They offer a wide choice of leisure, dining, entertainment and relaxation facilities on board, in many different combinations. With different ship sizes and cruise types available, you’ll find there’s a voyage to suit you and the way you’d like to travel.
If you’ve never booked a cruise before though, it can all seem like a bit of a mystery. So, we’ve put together this quick step-by-step guide to tell you everything you need to know, if you’re thinking about your first cruise.
How to book a cruise
1. Pick your destination. Are you looking for the eternal sunshine of the Caribbean? The fun and culture of the Mediterranean? Or have you always wanted to see the fjords and the northern lights on a cruise of Scandinavia? Your new favourite destination could be waiting for you in Southeast Asia, or in the desert sands of the Middle East. You could pick a cruise that’s perfect to wander the shops, galleries, clubs and restaurants in old towns and along beautiful beaches; or a voyage that really shows you the sights on wide-ranging shore excursions beyond your ports of call.
2. Think about what kind of cruise you’d like. There’s a huge range of cruise lines to choose from, and each one specialises in different kinds of ships and experiences. Are you looking for a fun-packed family cruise, or a quieter getaway for two? A voyage with plenty of excursions ashore, or lots of time at sea to enjoy the shopping, lectures and live entertainment? Is accessibility important? At the bottom of this article, you’ll find a list of useful things to think about if you’d like to book your first cruise.
3. Give our Cruise Concierge team a free call on 0808 1234 118, or leave us your contact details online and we can find your cruise for you. You don’t even need to think about steps 1 and 2 before your call. Our team can help you to tailor your cruise from scratch if you prefer, and can find you our best deals too. If you prefer, you can narrow down your preferences online and our Cruise Concierge team can find voyages for you, and get back to you to help you book a cruise.
So, booking a voyage you’ll enjoy is as easy as that! Now, onto the packing… you could always narrow down what to pack with the help of our older blog article, what not to bring with you on a cruise!
Things to think about before you book a cruise
With so much choice in modern cruise packages, you can practically tailor a cruise holiday to suit all of your needs and preferences. Maybe think about the following:
- Who’s sailing? Will it be a honeymoon cruise, a single cruise, a family holiday or just for a couple?
- Do you want to cruise Europe, Asia, the Americas or the Baltic? Australia, Alaska, the Caribbean or the Middle East?
- How long would you like to cruise for? A two-night mini cruise to test the water, or a voyage for one or two weeks? Or even a world cruise, lasting a hundred nights or more?
- Are you looking for a big cruise ship with plenty of pools, restaurants and entertainment? A small ship with a more intimate, private-club atmosphere? Or a mid-sized ship with a little bit of both?
- You could look for a big ship suite for your family or a more luxurious stay, or a smaller cabin to make a saving. You could have a room with a large balcony, just a window, or an inside room for a cheaper stay.
- Think about how you’d like your holiday to pan out. You could begin with a flight and start your voyage from a port abroad, or set sail from a port in the UK. You could start off small with a mini cruise for two or three nights, and start or end your cruise holiday with a hotel stay if you like.
- Are you looking for an adventurous cruise with plenty of fantastic activities ashore, or more time spent on the ship to relax in the spa? A large liner with pools, cinemas, sports facilities, shops and kids’ clubs would be great to keep the family busy – while a voyage on a smaller ship is perfect if you’re looking for a quieter cruise with an emphasis on personal service and a relaxed, refined atmosphere.
Or if all this is a bit much to think about at once, we can help you to choose. Just give us a call free on 0808 1234 118!
Our award-winning Cruise Concierge team can guide you through your cruise booking from start to finish, or even just tell you more about cruise holidays and how to book a cruise if you’re unsure.
You can call free for advice or to make a booking over the phone, and we’re open Monday – Sunday from 8am-10pm. Our Cruise Concierge team is also on call from the moment you book a cruise to when you finish your holiday and get home – and any time you need us after that, too.
Article image courtesy of Photopin.